MARKETING & PROMOTION
Best of Bastrop County Contest begins
VOTE for your local favorites in the Best of Bastrop County Contest. Think of shopping local and voting local to get the word out. If you need more help choosing your favorite, just go to our chamber website at www.smithvilletx.org and click on Business Directory to see all our Chamber members. New this year, the ability to write in your own vote. Contest is hosted by the Bastrop Advertiser and Smithville Times. CLICK HERE TO VOTE!
Playhouse Smithville opens Peter Pan!
Starring Antonio Blasco as Peter Pan & Sam Blasco as Captain Hook. Join this cast of 40+ players as Peter Pan, Wendy and Captain Hook fly, argue, sing and fight their way through Neverland. The Lost Boys, Indians, Mermaids and one hungry Crocodile invite you to join in the fun. Show runs July 18-19, 25-26, and August 1-3 at 7:30 p.m. with 2:30 p.m. matinee Aug 3. Tickets at www.playhousesmithville.com or call 512-360-7397 Peter Pan is adapted by john daniels, jr. from J.M. Berrie's Peter & Wendy
OUR RIVER RIGHTS
Water coalition forming in area
The newly formed Lower Colorado River Basin Coalition (LCRBC) serves as a forum of organizations, businesses, communities, and agricultural, recreational, environmental and other associated interests whose members depend upon the Colorado River Basin (Basin) downstream of Longhorn Dam in Austin. The purpose of the LCRBC is to promote discussion of political, legislative, agency and regulatory issues of importance to the future of the lower Basin.
The Colorado River is a vital asset to our community and is currently under attack. Please take the time to review the attached material and consider joining this important organization. Your membership will help your business and our community have a voice at the table.
Survey results are tabulated The city's economic development survey report is final and may be viewed or downloaded HERE. The report details how the survey was conducted as well as the numerical results of the questions.
Last Updated on Saturday, 19 July 2014 22:25
Saturday, July 26, 2014
Smithville Rec Center, 106 Gazley
6 pm Buffet
7-10 pm Gaming
8-11 pm Texas Hold 'Em Poker
10 pm-midnight Live music & dance
Only 300 players allowed! Get your tickets now online (see below). From 6 p.m. to midnight, the Smithville Recreation Center will be transformed into a casino style party you don't want to miss.
All your favorites - blackjack, roulette, craps and slot machines, plus the popular Texas Hold 'Em Poker Tournament. General admission tickets also include all-you-can-eat buffet and $10,000 in gaming chips.
NEW! A wine toss! and LIVE MUSIC and dancing from 10 p.m. to midnight!
Get your group (family, friends and co-workers) together and mark your calendar. Silent auction to help billboard account promote Smithville. This event is brought to you by the Smithville Area Chamber of Commerce and our Title sponsor, Covert Chevrolet/Buick/GMC.
Here's what you get:
$10,000 worth of chips
Blackjack * Roulette
Poker * Slots * Craps
Live Music by the Chubby Knuckle Choir
Buffet Dinner with 2 drinks
Wine Toss * Dance
Door Prizes * Silent Auction
and optional Texas Hold 'Em Poker Tournament
Remember, only adults 21 and over will be allowed.
Casino and Buffet GENERAL ADMISSION
$30 in advance ($35 at the door)
Casino and Buffet + TEXAS HOLD 'EM POKER TOURNAMENT
$20 more, you also get the Texas Hold 'Em Tournament, with prizes that has a limit of 48 players. This includes all the rest of the food and fun of the night.
SPONSORSHIPS STILL AVAILABLE! See top right of page.
PRINT SPONSORSHIP FORM
SILENT AUCTION ITEMS also needed:
Half of the silent auction proceeds go towards economic development in the form of billboards.
Contact the chamber at 512-237-2313 or email email@example.com.
CHARMING AND HISTORIC
Smithville boasts a large number in national register
Smithville, Texas, a town of under 4,000 according to the Census, overflows with historic charm in its downtown district. Both in commercial and residential, Smithville has 206 properties listed in the National Historic Register. How's that for special!
PRE-EVENT PHOTO CONTEST * PRIZES * RECOGNITION
Want your photographs to be seen by thousands of people with your photo credit?
You have until September 1, 2014 to submit photos in any of the following eight categories and become one of Smitty’s favorite photographers. Three top prizes. All submissions should be images from Smithville, Texas and the surrounding area.
Winners will be announced and featured at the Texas Photo Festival in October. Keep reading for details and rules.
WEEKLY CHAMBER EVENTS: Volunteers of all ages welcomed at meetings!
- TUES, July 22 - Keep Smithville Beautiful, 6 p.m., Pocket's Grille
- THURS, July 24 - Community Relations Meeting, 6 p.m., Smithville Public Library
- SAT, July 26 - CASINO NIGHT, 6 p.m., Smithville Recreation Center. Get your tickets online - see article this page.
- MON, July 28 - Ambassador Committee, 8 a.m., Fish Residence, call Chamber for address
- THURS, July 31 - Ribbon Cutting - DELLRIF ICE, LLC "Twice the Ice", 10 a.m., 571 CR 230 (CR230 at American Legion Road, Smithville 78957)
COMMUNITY CALENDAR at TOP RIGHT: To have an item added to the calendar, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
HAPPENINGs HERE and THERE:
MEMBER ANNOUNCEMENTS: For more members’ specials, real estate, and job openings. CLICK HERE
- Don't Miss The Clearance Sale - The Great Habits Gift Shop, located within Seton Smithville Regional Hospital, will have a huge clearance sale on Friday, July 25, starting at 9 a.m. with items 50% off. The sale will be held outside the gift shop in the hallway. Refreshments will be served. Come check out the new, updated look in the admissions lobby and the Great Habits Gift Shop and find a treasure or two. This would be a great opportunity to learn about their volunteer program. They are located at 800 E Hwy. 71.
- Bastrop State Park Night Hike - Find out what it’s like to be a creature of the night. Call for owls, watch for bats and listen to the sounds of the night. Meet by the playground. Bring a flashlight, water and sturdy shoes. Starts at 9 p.m. on July 25. For more information contact Mick Haven at 512-237-2241 ext. 225.
- The Smithville Recreation Center will host a skate contest on Saturday, July 26. There will be 3 divisions: ages 8-10, ages 11-13 and ages 14-18. Tope 3 places awarded per division. Event is at Smithville Skate Park, located behind the Smithville Recreation Center, 106 Royston St. Registration and open skate begins at noon with competition at 2 p.m. Skateboards only with helmets and parental release required. Entry fee is $10 per participant. For more information contact the recreation center at 512-237-3282 ext. 7.
- CASINO NIGHT & TEXAS HOLD ‘EM POKER TOURNAMENT. Saturday July 26, 6 p.m. to midnight. See notice this page.
- Buescher State Park Sounds of the Night - This night-time program will be held on July 26 at 8 p.m. It will explore the some times spooky sounds of the forest at night. Learn about different nocturnal wildlife and their special adaptations. This program will begin at the amphitheater. For more information contact Mick Haven at 512-237-2241 ext. 225.
- Community Blood Drive - The community of Smithville will hold a blood drive at the First United Methodist Church, 400 Olive Street on Sunday, July 27 from 9 a.m. to noon. To make an appointment, please sign up at the church or call 512-237-3325. Walk-ins are always welcome.
- Peter Pan Matinee - The Smithville Education Foundation, formerly known as A.C.E., will partner with Playhouse Smithville on Sunday July 27 at 2:30 for a matinee showing of Peter Pan. Proceeds from this show will be donated to the Education Foundation. Playhouse Smithville is located at 110 Main St. For more information about the foundation, call Tina Smith at 512-988-0052.
- Lower Colorado River Basin Coalition - On Tuesday July 29 the Chamber will host a public presentation about the Lower Colorado River Basin Coalition. Judge Paul Pape will talk about the purpose of the coalition and why it matters to our community. Smithville Recreation Center starting at 6 p.m. www.waterdownstream.com
- New Resale Shop in Town – A huge garage sale to launch a new resale shop, Born Again Emporium, will be August 1-2, from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the old Central School, 400 Gresham St. Come support this new resale shop
Last Updated on Tuesday, 22 July 2014 16:41
Hosting classes or kid activities over the summer? Email details to email@example.com and CLICK "Read more" for the happenings in the area.
Theater to show 50 cent movies on Tuesdays
Lost Pines 8 to show movies each Tuesday at 10 a.m. from June 10 through Aug. 19 at a low cost of fifty cents. Seating is limited. Benefits local Boys & Girls Club. For more details go t. www.schulmantheatres.com. Print the POSTER
FREE Spanish Summer Camp at the library
Every Thursday, June 12 through Aug. 22, Smithville Public Library will host a free Spanish class summer camp for children! The classes, from 1-2 pm, are open to students of all experience levels. The summer camp is free. Contact the library for details.
Smithville PARD Summer Sessions
(Boys & Girls, ages 5-12) Summer sessions will be held on the first and third Tuesday and Thursday of the summer months, from June 17 to Aug. 21. Tuesdays will bring an adventure somewhere fun and Thursdays will include activities at the Smithville Recreation Center or nearby parks. Campers shall bring a sack lunch, snacks will be provided.
Register for all session by June 10 for $250 per child. Or sessions can be purchased separately at $60 per child by the session deadline. Registration forms can be picked up at the Rec Center, 106 Royston, or at the website: www.ci.smithville.tx.us. Call 512-237-3282 ext. 7 for more information. Print the POSTER.
Camp Wilderness Ridge Summer Camps
(Boys age 7-13) June 15 to Aug. 1 . Archery, riflery, tomahawks, climbing wall, zip line, giant swing, canoeing and fishing plus more.
(Boys Age 7-9, 10-12) July 17 to Aug. 1. Ranger Challenge. Apply for scholarships.
Camp Wilderness Ridge is located at 1320 Park Road 1 C, Smithville. For more information, to apply for scholarship or to register, email Ron Hunt at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit their website www.wildernessridge.com/summer